National Park is located in southern Utah on the eastern side of the
Paunsaugunt Plateau in Garfield County. Settlement of the area began
in 1874. Ebenezer Bryce moved from Pine Valley and settled a site
near the mouth of Bryce Canyon in 1875. Bryce used the now famous
canyon as a cattle range, and it was given his name as early as 1876.
Bryce Canyon awaited promotion and development before its full tourism potential could be realized. National Forest Supervisor J. W. Humphrey was transferred from the La Sal National Forest to the Powell National Forest on 1 July 1915. He was amazed at the beauty and grandeur of Bryce and resolved to do all he could to promote it and make it accessible. He took visiting dignitaries to Bryce and secured funds for a passable road to the canyon rim. In 1916 Arthur W. Stevens of the Forest Service wrote an illustrated article for the Union Pacific railroad tourist magazine. J. W. Humphrey wrote a similar article for the Rio Grande railroad. These were the first descriptive articles published about Bryce Canyon. In the meantime, moving pictures and postcards began circulating and Bryce began to attract visitors from all parts of the nation.